Thursday, June 3, 2010

Daily Dose of Poetry for Your Mind

Spontaneous update, apologies in advance for the lack of original content

Anna thy charms
Robert Burns

Anna, thy charms my bosom fire,
And waste my soul with care;
But ah! how bootless to admire,
When fated to despair!

Yet in thy presence, lovely Fair ,
To hope may be forgiven;
For sure 'twere impious to despair
So much in sight of heaven.

You can find a really good recitation and some background information of the verse here by BBC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similarly themed song



Literal translation thanks to Wikisauce:

By a head of a thoroughbred horse
who slackens in the final stretch,
and afterward when it returns seems to say:
"Remember, brother, you don't lose when you don't play."

Lost again by a head: the infatuation of a day
for a flirt who promises while she smiles
and tells lies about love
yet my whole heart burns for her.

By a head!
It's madness
but a lying mouth that kisses
still drives away sadness
and soothes the bitterness.

By a head!
If she forgets me
I'll lose everything that matters.
Life is a thousand broken promises--
but why live at all?

How many disappointments were lost by a head?
I swore a thousand times to stop pushing my luck.
It's no pleasant sight to watch a man lose.
Yet I remember the burn from her lips and want another kiss.

I'm done with races. No more foolish chances.
I won't return to see the bitter end.
But then next Sunday I'll think some filly is a sure thing.
I'll gamble; I'll find out. What else can I do?